- Peel three medium potatoes, rinse and cut into cubes
- Add potatoes to a a deep bowl and cover in cold water
- Soak for 45 minutes
- Rinse and drain potatoes, pat down with kitchen town to soak excess water
- Add fries to container, pour over two tablespoons canola oil
- Season liberally with salt, seal container, shake until evenly coated in oil
- Preheat air fryer
- When ready, set temperature to 400F
- Cook for 15 minutes total, shaking every 5 minutes to ensure even frying
- At the 10 minute mark add preferred seasonings, we love rosemary and garlic powder!
This recipe is based of using the COSORI Air Fryer (5.8QT model, affiliate link).
Perfect breakfast potatoes are as easy as can be in the air fryer. They take a little prep, but are worth the effort.
Perfect air fried breakfast potato steps
First start with a starchy potatoes like a Russet/Idaho spud. These have less moisture; moisture is the enemy when air frying, it results in steaming rather than frying.
The next step is to rinse and soak the fries to remove excess surface starch. When you first add the fries to water you’ll see how the water is cloudy. After you’ve soaked and rinsed them, it should run clear. Don’t skip this step, it’s crucial to that final texture of internally fluffy and crisp exterior.
Next up, make sure to pat them dry. Again, moisture is the devil. A dry fry is a crisp fry!
Lastly, evenly coat the spuds and don’t overcrowd the fryer basket. I use Rubbermaid plastic food prep containers for this part, they’re really handy in a lot of different air fryer recipes. See our air fryer accessories page here.
Making breakfast potatoes from scratch takes a minimal amount of prep effort – but is way way faster than frying in the pan!