How to make tonkatsu in an air fryer
- Preheat air fryer to 380F
- Prepare pork chops (see notes below)
- Spray chops on both sides, and edges with fat free cooking spray
- Cook at 380F for 20 minutes, turning once during cooking
- Transfer to a plate and allow to rest for a few minutes before slicing
This recipe is based of using the COSORI Air Fryer (5.8QT model, affiliate link).
This air fried version of the popular deep fried Japanese pork cutlet is just as good hot out of the air fryer. What’s more, it’s much more healthy and simpler to make.
To prepare the tonkatsu first season both sides with salt and pepper. Next you will need to take your pork chops and dredge them in a three step process:
- First coat the chops evenly with flour. All purpose flour is just fine.
- Next, transfer the pork chops to a bowl with beaten eggs, ensuring to cover evenly on all sides
- Finally dredge the sticky pork chops through lots of panko breadcrumbs
Transfer the breaded chops to a plate ready for cooking. This process is made massively simpler if you get everything ready before starting: a plate with flour, a bowl with beaten eggs, a plate with panko and a final resting plate. This way you can simply move from one station to the next, quickly and efficiently.
Once finished it’s traditional to slice the tonkatsu and serve with rice or noodles:
This website and all recipes are presented as a reference only. Many variables may influence your own cooking times. Read this info on using our recipes.
Please scroll to the bottom of the page if you'd like to comment on this recipe, suggest an improvement or otherwise. You can also join our Facebook Air Frying group to talk to other like minded air frying enthusiasts!
more healthier? really? engrish much?
You got me. Too much pork, not enough coffee that day 😉