- 1.5 las chicken breast, cubed
- 1 jar chicken shawarma marinade (see below)
- PIta bread or wraps
- Choice of toppings (see below)
- Cube chicken breasts and add to a bowl
- Cover cuben chicken pieces with marinade
- Stir well to ensure chicken throrughly coated
- Transfer to refrigerator and allow to marinate for 12-24 hours
- When ready to cook, preheat air fryer to 400F
- Drain off any excess marinade and add chicken cubes to preheated air fryer
- Cook at 400F for 15 minutes
- Turn chicken pieces 2-3 times during cooking
- All chicken to cool before serving on a pita bread or wrap with choice of fixings (see below)
For this recipe I used the shawarma marinade from Whole Foods, under their 365 brand. It's just a couple bucks and has a great flavor profile with lots of clove and warm spices. You could of course absolutely make your own too.
I find the 15 minute cooking time is a good balance beyween charred chiken on the exterior, and still retaining a juicy interior. You could of course play with this a little depening on your preferences. Always use a good kitchen safe thermometer when cooking chicken!
For the finished shawarma I love to use a mix of cooling and spicy sauces - think hot sauce / yogurt. I also like to add some sharpness and bite - so onions and/or marinated veggies. Fresh veggies work well too - tomato and cucumber.