- Preheat air fryer to 400F
- Add prepared reuben (see below) to air fryer
- Cook at 400F for 6-8 minutes, turn carefully half way through
- The exact cooking length depends on your bread thickness, 6mins thin, 8 mins thicker
I’m going to say it, I’m going to put it out there – the Reuben Sandwich might just be the very best sandwich ever created. I for sure can’t think of anything better right now. Club, no way. BLT, move along.
How to make a Reuben Sandwich
The classic Reuben sandwich comprises the following ingredients:
- Thick sliced corned beef (or pastrami for a fun twist!)
- Rye bread
- Swiss cheese
- Russian Dressing
And that’s it… Simple huh? The mix of sweet caraway seeds in the rye, the slightly spicy and creamy dressing along with the tang and punch of kraut – it’s all the perfect balance for great deli meat. Don’t skimp either, use quality meat, thick sliced and lots of it.
Tips for making the perfect Reuben sandwich
- Like a grilled cheese or grilled tuna, you add fat to the outside of the bread so it crisps up. Butter is traditional, but you can also use olive oil (I like to personally) or even mayo!
- Make sure you layer your meat first on each piece of bread, then add the dressing then lastly the sauerkraut as an inside layer. This will prevent the kraut from soaking into your bread making a mushy mess. Trust me on this one.
- Seriously, excess moisture is your enemy here, don’t allow soggy bread! I sometimes go as far as squeezing the sauerkraut of water for a second, just before adding to the sandwich.
- Russian Dressing is essentially a spicier version of Thousand Island that relies on horseradish. I never have that to hand so I like to mix mayo/ketchup/sriracha with some smoked paprika and dill pickle. This adds a great smoky/creamy/tangy/spicy bite.